Tuesday 2 February 2010

Day 18 1920's Style Clutch with 2 Fabric Brooches

I am rather pleased with today's bag which is based on the design for a 1920's style clutch.  It is another tiny creation (I am going for small and delicate this week!).  When photographing it I could not decide which brooch looked nicer so I thought I would include them both with the bag, therefore making it that you have one bag with two looks!  I have listed it in my folksy shop.


Making this bag made me nostalgic for art college.  Whilst studying art and design the favourite period for inspiring my work was the art nouveau movement.  Everyone knew that as soon as projects were given out for presentations they were going to hear something else about the art nouveau movement whether it was glass, ceramics or textiles!  However, my absolute favourite artist from this period is Margaret MacDonald (who was much underrated wife of Rennie).  During one of my research trips I was lucky enough to visit Glasgow (not that I need an excuse as that is my favourite city!) and went to see the MacIntosh house which is housed in the Hunterian Art Gallery.  Here I was able to get up close to my favourite piece of Margarets 'The White Rose & The Red Rose' 1902,  which is in the drawing room.  However, the guide was taking a particular interest in me being so enthusiastic she need not have worried, I had no screwdriver and my bag wasn't big enough!


By the way this picture does not do the original justice, there are handmade glass beads on it which sparkle in the light and it is huge!


2 comments:

Marie said...

So get where you're coming from with Mrs MacDonald! This is a gorgeous bag and vintage inspired as well, perfect! Can I feature it on my blog PLEASE Elissa?

Elissa - said...

ooh yes feel free, thanks Marie x