Thursday 11 March 2010

Getting ready for my first craft fair...

Ok so it is about 6 weeks until my first proper craft fair, all on my own, eek!  So I thought I would start to get organised as I have to provide my own table.  Now at first this was a tad unsettling as I had to source one, however, it has worked out for the best as it means I am able to set it up at home and practice my layout.  On mooching around the internet, as you do, under the guise that it is very important research, when really you are feeding your fish on Happy Aquarium on Facebook! Oh so thats just me then? Anyway I came across this lovely site where Brandi at Craft & Show Designs has done lots of internet mooching herself and collected together everyones ideas for how to set out craft fair stalls.  One word of advice only look at this site when you have plenty of time!  There is lots of inventive ideas of how to display everything from bags to cushions to jewellery.

Soo.. back to my planning so to avoid my stall looking like this .....



And hopefully get it looking more like this...... (photo info Viridian)



I need to get a little more organised and to go shopping! Because so far I have only got this....



But it is a start.  So anybody who mooches around vintage sites a lot, yes Marie hint directed your way! If you come across any interesting display ideas for bags & fabric brooches let me know.  Am off to sew now white rabbit bag coming up.

5 comments:

Marie said...

You know Elissa, sometimes I think we've been separated at birth as I have been thinking about this very same thing the past week or so! I do have one or two ideas I might share if I can see a way you can use them for your work! Hmm, come to think of it maybe i'll make it an actual blog post!

Tracey said...

Is the fair inside or outside ? If its outside you might want to consider throwing a large polythene sheet into your kit bag for the day incase it rains. I got a painters drop cloth from the pound store to have on standby. Fortunately it didn't rain but it was breezey!

I made the mistake of putting too much onto the table and I think people were afraid of messing up my carefully arranged display to pick items up.I read somewhere that once a person picks an item up they subconsciously begin to think its theirs and have a bigger need to buy it. So -- encourage people to pick your bags up!

Have fun getting ready .. and don't stress out too much over it.

Elissa - said...

Marie - yes I am starting to believe that we were indeed separated at birth, lol!

Tracey it is inside a marquee so shouldn't be too bad. Don't think I would be brave enough to do an outside event well not up here anyway!

LOULA BELLE AT HOME said...

I am still learning. Done a few craft fairs. I posted my last one on my blog if you want to take a look. It was really hard fitting everything on. I spent most of my setting up time strapping two poles to table legs so I could put my banner up and have a few things dangling. Not sure whether it made a difference (trade was awful) and spent a lot of time wondering at which point it was going to come down!!!! I must say you are very organized.
Don't forget boxes to put under your cloth to raise areas x

Amanda Robins said...

Less is more when it comes to displaying your items. But it's so tempting to put everything you have made out on display. Apparently the eye can only take in so much.